Mast pivot - dampness

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

Mast pivot - dampness

Postby Adrian Langford » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:26 pm

Dear all,

When taking the mast off for the winter, I removed the stainless steel sleeve that sits inside the mast at the tabernacle pivot, and noticed that the mast was really quite damp inside the hole. There is no rot here at the moment, but I wonder whether this could be a starting point for rot in the future as I suspect water is trapped between the mast and the sleeve all season.

My plan to prevent rot here is to use a cotton bud or similar laden with epoxy and put a thin layer in here, which should soak into the timber and prevent rot in the future. An alternative might be to put the sleeve in with 'Sikaflex' type marine sealant, thus preventing ingress in the first place (but making the sleeve a bit tricky to remove!)

Any thoughts, anyone?

Cheers,

Adrian and Roger Langford.
CC19 64, 'Meisje'
Adrian Langford
CC19 Association Member

Re: Mast pivot - dampness

Postby Dennis » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:27 pm

Hello Adrian

Is there a gap? Is there any discolouration of the timber?

I think mine is a tight fit, and thoroughly sealed with varnish.

Here is my suggestion: Thoroughly dry out the hole where the sleeve goes. It would be useful if you could gently blow warm air through it for a few days. Then soak with clear wood preservative (Cuprinol?). Leave until dry, possibly a couple of weeks, then replace the SS sleeve sealing with epoxy.

My mast is hanging up in my garage, pop across and have a look for yourself.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails