Jobs for this Spring

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

Re: Jobs for this Spring

Postby Adrian Langford » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:44 pm

I wrapped a leftover length of string around the gaff jaws, which seem to have prevented them digging in to the mast, and seem to slide nicely over the varnish.

Steve, how much Epifanes did you get through? I'm hoping about 3 coats on top of last year's fairly intact finish should do the trick, and suspect 500ml will suffice.

Kind regards,

Adrian.
Adrian Langford
CC19 Association Member

Postby Greybeard » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:01 pm

A 500ml tin has been plenty for three coats on all the spars, Adrian (the existing varnish was sound so just needed a thorough sanding) . I did thin it slightly just to get it to flow easier in the cold temperatures, but no more than about 5% Even without that there was more than enough. I was hoping to get the hull woodwork varnished (which will need another tin) before getting her up to kielder, though the continuing ice age has put paid to that plan so far :(
One job that I do hope to do is to take the brake drums off and give the innards a coat of looking at. Anyone done this on an HM trailer? Any quirks I should keep in mind?

Steve
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Postby ianrmaciver » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:35 pm

I'm considering fitting centre cleats to help when mooring on pontoons .Current favoured position is adjacent to the " CC19" logo. Has anyone carried out this modification , and what should I be careful of when doing it.
Ian , CC 085 Minnie
ianrmaciver
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Peck » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:48 pm

ianrmaciver wrote:I'm considering fitting centre cleats to help when mooring on pontoons .Current favoured position is adjacent to the " CC19" logo. Has anyone carried out this modification , and what should I be careful of when doing it.
Ian , CC 085 Minnie

Ian,

I would not fit a cleat in that position. I think there is a good chance that the genoa sheets will snag on them!

Personally, I do not think that a CC19 needs a mid cleat. It is too short to require one for normal pontoon mooring. If you feel the need for one you can always use the standing rigging. If you tie around the lower part of the bottle screw that will be strong enough. Also you can use the hand rails which are quite strongly fastened (especially on later models). When stepping onto a pontoon I always have a rope tied around the hand rail at the boats mid point of balance just back from the rigging wire.

Where the CC19 does need an extra cleat is mid way along the cockpit side coaming just above the rubbing strake. This is to enable extra fenders to be attached. I used a couple of 5 inch stainless ones to match the existing ones on top of the coaming at the stern.

Besides, I think where you are thinking of fitting them will spoil the pretty clean lines!! :(

Regards
David Peck
CC94 Whistling Rufus
David Peck
CC19 Association Member

Postby Paul Turner » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:10 pm

Hi Ian

David's right that they're not essential but I fitted them last year and find them useful. I sail single handed and need all the help I can get. They're easy to fit. I bought them from Bob to ensure a match but I'm sure you can get same on line. I attach photo to show location I used. I don't think they are intrusive and they don't interfere with genoa sheets.

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul Turner
CC19 Association Member

Location: Dorset, 6 miles from Weymouth and close to Ringstead Bay

Postby ianrmaciver » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:11 pm

Thanks David / Paul ,
I haven't had them for the last two years , so I can manage without. However I've had centre cleats on previous , albeit larger boats , and found them very useful , particularly when single handed. The main use was to hook on when approaching a pontoon , and then use the engine on idle to hold everything steady.
Good to hear that sheet tangling hasn't been a problem...I thought I might need " cleat boots"....a name I hadn't heard until today when I googled "sheets caught on cleats" .
Has the position worked well Paul , I had thought to mount them aft of the logo , for ease of access from the cockpit. I often motor in with the hood up .
Thanks again , I think they look neat.
Ian CC19 Minnie 085
ianrmaciver
CC19 Association Member

Postby Paul Turner » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:41 am

It's worked OK in its present position but that's not to say it wouldn't work just as well or even better further aft. I think I copied some one else but I can't remember who. I have a short rope permanently attached to the cleat so I can easily reach it from the cockpit. I suppose there's an optimum position for maximum effectiveness but not sure how you determine it...
Paul Turner
CC19 Association Member

Location: Dorset, 6 miles from Weymouth and close to Ringstead Bay

Previous

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails