gaff lacing

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

gaff lacing

Postby SimonW » Wed May 07, 2014 10:28 pm

I rigged the main for the first time and the manual is unclear how you lash to the gaff. I used one continuous line albeit its about 8 inches too short as supplied. Given that there are about 8-10 lacing holes, what do people do?

I believe I read somewhere that its best to do each one individual with a short bit of lashings?

I had the gaff span incorrectly knotted at first so the gaff went up crooked. as the parrel beads were not tight I ended up with a scratch or two on the mast, but was soon straightened. How do people secure the kicking strap?

I seem to remember some people having a wire strop over the boom, but without anything supplied, I used multiple strands of soft lashing- seemed to work OK.

Also reefing lines seemed hugely over long. i rigged them from tied around the boom behind the block with a bowline, up to the reefing hole, back down to the block, then along to the cleat on the boom, so assume I am not missing something?

Went out for a sea trial and unfortunately the staysail had a manufacturing problem so the torsion line wasn't attached - its back at Hydes and had wanted it back to sail at the weekend, but with 30 + knots forecast may give it a miss!

Sailed for a bit on Yankee and Main and all seemed to work. The Genoa sheets are far to thick as they won't run out of the spin locks, so given that I only have the yankee, I have matched the staysail sheet thickness and its much better

Thanks
SimonW
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Wed May 07, 2014 10:59 pm

I've just unlaced my gaff to varnish it and I took lots of pictures- I'll put some in an album.

I find my gaff does not always go up smoothly either- depends how the halyard is tied on.

I very quickly put thin sheets on the staysail- find the easy to handle and the forces are always modest.
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Wed May 07, 2014 11:06 pm

Pictures posted in Aurora Gaff lacing. Hope they help. Looking at the pictures, I hope I can replace it all properly.....
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby SimonW » Thu May 08, 2014 9:27 am

Charles

Thanks, thats very helpful. I had laced its per Aurora, just wondered as I couldn't tie off the last hole properly. a longer lashing will sort that out.

It looks like your kicker block is attached with a simple lashing?

I used a continuous piece of lashing for the main to the mast, lashed as per the instructions and it seemed to work fine. I think Bob suggested using two pieces, but not sure why.

Simon
SimonW
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Thu May 08, 2014 11:01 am

SimonW wrote:I rigged the main for the first time and the manual is unclear how you lash to the gaff. I used one continuous line albeit its about 8 inches too short as supplied. ...... How do people secure the kicking strap?
Also reefing lines seemed hugely over long. i rigged them from tied around the boom behind the block with a bowline, up to the reefing hole, back down to the block, then along to the cleat on the boom, so assume I am not missing something?

The Genoa sheets are far to thick as they won't run out of the spin locks, so given that I only have the yankee, I have matched the staysail sheet thickness and its much better

Hello Simon

Bob supplied me with 10 metres of Mast Lashing, 5 metres of Gaff Lashing and 8 metres of Outhaul Tack all red/white 4mm dyneema. I found that there was more than enough for all purposes. I may not have used the lengths as prescribed. I certainly have a considerable quantity of spare 4mm dyneema.

I attach the kicking strap as per the manual. ie. description at the bottom of page 8 and photo 6 on page 7. (3 or 4 turns of lashing around the boom through the SS strap/fairlead)

You are correct about the supplied reefing lines, they are far too long. Your reefing rigging technique is correct.

Regarding the genoa/yankee sheets. Bob recently told me that Spinlock have stopped producing the larger size. It may be that he has had to fit a smaller version. The 10mm sheet which I use runs very freely though the Spinlock. I do find the larger diameter easier to handle when I have to pull hard on the sheet.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby SimonW » Thu May 08, 2014 11:18 am

Dennis

Thanks. The Genoa line did just fit and it was a very light day, so whilst it ran, it was quite restricted. That said its all new so will be stiff. I think I only have two sizes of spinlock, the small ones and then the same size for Staysail and Yankee so that might be right about sizing.

I couldn't understand the long outhaul tack line as the book has it just tied off with a small lashing. I do intend to put on a simple block with a cleat along the top of the boom somewhere so it is adjusted. I'll then use some sort of loop around the boom to keep it down per the dinghies I sail.

Thanks

Simon
SimonW
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Thu May 08, 2014 11:45 am

SimonW wrote: I think I only have two sizes of spinlock, the small ones and then the same size for Staysail and Yankee so that might be right about sizing.

I couldn't understand the long outhaul tack line as the book has it just tied off with a small lashing. I do intend to put on a simple block with a cleat along the top of the boom somewhere so it is adjusted. I'll then use some sort of loop around the boom to keep it down per the dinghies I sail.

I have three different size of Spinlock. They take (I think) 6mm, 10mm and 14mm diameter respectively. The rope which HM supplies is very generously proportioned, I can see how the 10mm sheet would be marginal in the 10mm Spinlock.

I have arranged my outhaul as you propose. I probably used the supplied outhaul tack line as my gaff lashing!
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Mast Rings

Postby Rene Robichaux » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:55 am

Noticed in some of the video that owners had forsaken the lashing of the main to the mast for Mast rings. Can anyone tell me the recommended size of the rings to order? Rene
Rene Robichaux
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:48 pm

Hi Rene,

Welcome!
Ooh, a CC in TX. Do you sail inland or in the gulf?
All of the CC's I have seen use parrell beads on lengths of line with loops and hooks, instead of lashing the mainsail to the mast. I know that one boat uses hoops instead.

Parrell beads are a simple solution- they evidently work better than lashing (though I have never tried that) and have the advantage that you can remove the lower two sets when reefing the main. Not sure how I would reef the main if I used hoops?
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Canyon Lake

Postby Rene Robichaux » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:26 am

CC kept at Lake Canyon Yacht Club on Canyon Lake, just 45 mins. North of San Antonio, TX. Thank you for the advice. It sounds like I will stick with the current lashing approach. Rene
Rene Robichaux
CC19 Association Member

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails