Centre board release problem

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

Centre board release problem

Postby FrankvB » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:52 pm

my centre board appears to be stuck in the casing. It won't lower into deployed position.
My CC19 068 has been on the trailer from before I bought it last August from the previous owner. I have not been able to inspect the centre board with the boat on the trailer. Only after I had the boat lifted into the water last week and released the halyard, I noticed that the board does not move at all, trapped in the casing. Could this be caused by marine growth inside the casing, accumulated there during a long period in the water, before I bought the boat?
My idea would be to have the boat lifted on to a stand where I can access the centre board and casing from below and use a steel blade (saw?) to clear the space between case and board. Would this be the only option?
Any suggestions on how to release the board are welcome!

Postby Greybeard » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:15 pm

Hi, Frank. Are you sure it's the plate that it stuck? When I checked over Falcon after I bought her I found that the pulley, which the lifting wire runs over, had a deep groove worn into it, almost through to its centre bush. It could be that yours has a similar groove that is trapping the wire.

http://www.capecutter19association.org/forum/showthread.php?t=630

If you remove the inspection hatch on the starboard side of the casing (it's above the waterline) you'll be able to check whether the wire to the centreplate is free or not - leave only a small amount of slack in the rope to the pulley just in case it decides to let go suddenly. You can get to the pulley to free the wire by removing the triangular step/cover. If that is the problem then you'll need to replace/repair the pulley.

If the plate is stuck in the casing then I would suggest some gentle tapping (using a wooden block as a drift) onto the top of the plate through the hatch may be enough to free it.

Good luck. Steve
Steve (Treasurer) East Yorkshire
Ex-CC19 Falcon - Hull number 39 - 2003 that is now berthed in South Australia
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Postby Killick Greenie » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:39 pm

Frank

My previous boat was a centre board Maurice Griffiths Kylix 29 (info here http://yachtrisga.wordpress.com ). When the board got stuck it was generally an accumulation of mud or stone that caused the problem. MG always used a steel rule to push stuff out. I did as well and it works a treat, waste of a good steel rule though!

Good luck

Dave
Killick Greenie
Non Association Member

Postby FrankvB » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:40 pm

Thanks for your advice, Steve! tapping on top of the plate did the job, So I did not need to use a steel rule as Dave suggested.

Postby Greybeard » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:04 pm

My pleasure, Frank. I'm glad you've got sorted out with the minimum of effort. Have a great season.

Steve
Steve (Treasurer) East Yorkshire
Ex-CC19 Falcon - Hull number 39 - 2003 that is now berthed in South Australia
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails