Mast Transport Support Frame

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

Mast Transport Support Frame

Postby David Peck » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:30 pm

Hi Russell,

I have downloaded some photos of a simple frame I made some years ago to support the mast for transport and also prior to raising and lowering it. I used to bolt on a raised section to help when raising the heavy HM mast but with my new carbon fibre mast it is not necessary. With a S.A. hollow mast it probably will not be necessary either.

By having simple thin section uprights it is still possible to steer the boat when the mast is supported for going under bridges etc.

http://www.capecutter19.net/forum/album.php?albumid=47

I will try to put in a picture at a later date of the arrangement taken from the cockpit side to show how it locates in the well. Hopefully it will then be clearer!

Regards
David Peck CC94
David Peck
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:15 pm

That's similar to the first thoughts I had, but I've since thought I'd get something to sit on the transom as it would be a smaller construction. I can't ever imagine that I'd want to travel with them mast down as river and canals don't really do anything for me. I also have a top cover, so having the mast in the tabernacle would prevent it's use as a rest - I lay the mast lower down.
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Mast support

Postby David Peck » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:32 pm

The object is not to travel with the mast down in its tabernacle, thats just for raising and lowering. I tow with the mast forward on the deck and the end resting on the support. The boom is connected to its gooseneck and the gaff also rests on it. The transport cover fits over the whole lot as normal (see picture in album).
David Peck
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:27 pm

Those are really useful pictures, David; thanks for posting. So, you lower the mast with the boom, main and gaff all attached? Isn't that rather heavy to raise the mast? (I'm not speaking from much experience, as I have only done it twice so far!)
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Mast Weight

Postby seasickwhale » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:48 pm

.. is not a problem. When raising the mast, the boom with gaff, sail and the lot rest on the transom itself or in the boom crutch. For an idea on my system, see http://www.capecutter19.org/forum/album.php?albumid=16

For transport everything is lowered, then the mast is pushed forward a couple of feet (all within the lacing of the sail) until there is no overhang forwards or aft, so the cover fits.

Works a treat and saves a lot of work.
Happy Sailing

Stephan Radke
CC52 "Herr Nilsson"
seasickwhale
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:52 pm

Very neat and tidy Stephan. That's not a standard cover though?
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Cover

Postby seasickwhale » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:14 pm

You are right; the cover was custom made at a cost of appr. 550 Euros (.. I was sick and tired of scraping 600 miles worth of flies off the boat every time I go to France). It has travelled thousands of miles in 8 seasons, is always in the open and still looks fine. The maker just wanted "the boat for a week" and made the cover to measure.
Happy Sailing

Stephan Radke
CC52 "Herr Nilsson"
seasickwhale
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:59 am

Well, I am certainly going to try making a mast crutch something like that.
Thanks for the info

Charles
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails