genoa or yankee

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

genoa or yankee

Postby Michiel » Sat May 14, 2011 8:36 am

Hi all,

When I purchased 'Nemo' last year, she had been in Gibraltar for a couple of seasons, and there was no uv protection on the genoa.
Obviously there is a lot of fading along the foot and yesterday a small tear appeared as well.

If I were to replace the sail, should I go for straight replacement or Yankee??

What are the differences in performance and handling?
I assume that with the Yankee, you would sail all 3 sails in lighter winds, iso genoa and main.

As I usually sail single handed, hanking on the stay every time and raising and lowering it is tedious. I realise that opinions of a furling staysail vary greatly.
I am not a competative sailer, just go out to relax and enjoy. What equipment is best on the CC for furling stay?
Regards,
Michiel

(CC19 No.63 'NEMO')
Michiel
CC19 Association Member

Good Question

Postby Pugwash » Sat May 14, 2011 12:46 pm

I am interested in the same information particularly roller reefing on the staysail.

Look forward to the replies.

Regards Pugwash
Pugwash
Non Association Member

Postby zimp » Sun May 15, 2011 8:13 am

Our CC19 is equipped with a Barton furler on the stay-sail and a Ronstan furler on the yankee/genoa.
I bought the yankee last winter and I am very happy with it. Under main/staysail/yankee the CC19 is very balanced. She is so well balanced and easy to trim that I think that I may never use the genoa again.

But it's good to know that a furler can not be used to reef a head-sail. For reefing a head-sail you have to replace your fore-stay with a reefing rigid profile. This profile prevents the luff from twisting when partly rolled.

From our former boat I still do have a tiller-pilot. May intention was to install the tiller-pilot on the CC19. But may I put the tiller-pilot in the same sleeping-bag as the genoa...
zimp
Non Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Sun May 15, 2011 9:41 am

+1 for the yankee. Not only is it well balanced in my opinion it looks much nicer.

I opted to convert Zephyr from a Plastimo jib reefing system back to hanked on. With a thin downhaul line through the piston hanks to the top one, and passing through a small block on the deck I don't find it at all taxing to raise and lower.
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Sun May 15, 2011 10:39 am

Hello all

I have both genoa and yankee for Mary Ann. After two full seasons, the yankee has seen about twice as much use as the genoa. If I had to opt for one or the other I would definitely choose the yankee. The sailing performance is excellent, I sail as a full cutter most of the time on all points of sailing including closed hauled. And yes it does look better.

I also am undecided whether to stick with the hanked on staysail or replace with a furling system. Raising and lowering the staysail is not a problem, indeed I can lower the staysail quicker and easier than furling the yankee/genoa. However I do find the hanking on/off and the subsequent folding and stowing the sail a bit of a pain. When I have crew this is not a problem, I deal with the sails whilst motoring in/out of my moorings with crew at tiller. On the plus side the hanked on sail, sets beautifully.

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Hudson » Sun May 15, 2011 8:11 pm

Racing singlehanded I use the genoa up to 25kts and then hoist my Yankee on a furler.

One headsail to trim is quite enough. I find that the Genoa, sheeted inside the shrouds, feathers
beautifully while I play the mainsail.

Different strokes!

Regards
David
David Hudson
CC19 Association Member

Postby GRIMSHAW » Mon May 16, 2011 9:18 am

I'd go for a yankee . Our genoa hasn't been used since we got the yankee. Better sail combination and vision.I think we'd only use a genoa if it was made of light weight material. As to a furling staysail we fitted a simple Barton furler which works well. The reason for adopting a furler in the first place was to get rid of the clutter on the foredeck when sailing into our mooring ( no outboard motoring allowed on Rutland).It is also faster to redeploy it should we miss the mooring at the first attempt to avoid playing pinball with the (very) adjacent craft. We still use the original staysail but a wire luff would be better to maintain decent tension. The only problem with a free standing furler is there is a gap between forestay and sail which the yankee/genoa can snag in when tacking.
GRIMSHAW
CC19 Association Member

Postby Michiel » Mon May 16, 2011 3:47 pm

Thanks all for the replies.

Regarding Yankee/Genoa, I have opted for the Yankee.
David, I take your point, when racing, that 2 sails are easier then 3, but I just like pottering about, so in my case not an issue.
Nobody seems to have any negative comments to make, and also I should think that tacking in light winds should cause less snagging behind the front shroud.

Regarding furling staysail, not sure yet.
Ru88el, the raising and lowering, as you say, is not the problem. I agree with Dennis and Grimshaw though, that hanking on and sail lying on foredeck when picking up moorings is a nuisance. What was the reason you went back to hanked on??
I understand that I will have to get my existing staysail modified with a wire luff to work well. Seems that a simple Barton furler is fine.
I also understand that I have to keep the forestay, I assume this is safer then relying on the luff wire??
The gap between the forestay and staysail could become a problem when tacking, I understand. Also with a smaller yankee??

I realise, lots of questions, but is important to get it right!
Regards,
Michiel

(CC19 No.63 'NEMO')
Michiel
CC19 Association Member

Postby zimp » Mon May 16, 2011 5:06 pm

Dear all,

I like to react on the question of Michiel about the forestay. The furler on the staysail on our CC19 has been installed before I bought her. It is installed on the bracket for the former forestay. So there is no forestay anymore. The front support of the mast relies only on the furler, the wire luff of the staysail and the staysail halyard. When I leave my CC19 alone for a longer period I replace the staysail with a dynema line in order to support the mast. I am not sure about the desirability of this construction. May I have reinstall a forestay and make an second hard-point/bracket for attaching the furler of the staysail. How is this build on other CC19’s? I think some reinforcements have to be made in the forepeak. I this done with plywood, grp or aluminum? Or do I have to make some connection to the bulkhead? Thanks for your advice.

Regards,
Bert
CC19 #04, “Zimp”
zimp
Non Association Member

Postby oak » Wed May 18, 2011 11:06 pm

Hello,
I am quite surprised that there is no fitting for the staysail as even if the staysail was hanked on it would still have to be secured to the deck.I know some people sail only with the staysail roller without the forestay but I don't think [imo] thats very good practice.Unless you are passing a lot of bridges and need to keep dropping the mast.My fittings are reinforced with probaly plywood glassed in under the bow.Pretty common practice.Have you had a look up in the bow to see if there is any reinforcement?No sign of deck repair where the fitting may have been taken off.?
All my sailing is single handed.I found the genoa a bit of a pain if much tacking is involved so I usually stick with the yankee.
Oak
"MerLIN"
no 25
oak
CC19 Association Member

Next

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails