Mast / Booom Crutch

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

Mast / Booom Crutch

Postby Pugwash » Sun May 01, 2011 11:47 am

Dear All

sadly still in rehab/physio so no maiden voyage as yet.

Still tinkering (one handed), looking forward, I am a bit concerned about my long distance tow in July only from the point of view of mast / boom stability and safety from damage in transit. I have searched the archives of photos (inc Yahoo) and there are a few showing mast / boom crutches, has anyone got pictures or plans of a tried and tested set up.

Thinking of the feasability of boom / gaff on tabernacle and mast above in slot to keep space inside. Any thoughts?

Regards Simon
Pugwash
Non Association Member

RE: Mast / Booom Crutch

Postby seasickwhale » Sun May 01, 2011 8:11 pm

Hi Simon,

have you had a look at my album?
http://www.capecutter19.org/forum/album.php?albumid=16

This setup has been trailed for thousands of miles. I have no drawings, but I think the pictures are straightforward and speak for themselves.

After lowering the mast it is just pulled back through the lacing. Nothing is undone from the mast or boom. I just fix things lightly as not to bend the mast or crutch with a few ratchets, and off we go.

I cannot say however, if or how well this would work withour a cover.
Happy Sailing

Stephan Radke
CC52 "Herr Nilsson"
seasickwhale
CC19 Association Member

Postby Simon Head » Tue May 03, 2011 8:12 am

Hi Pugwash

You do not need a mast crutch.

Leave the sail in the bag rigged on the boom resting on the transom- the mast can rest in the tabernackle protected by a cloth. Use a rope to keep all the halyards/shrouds together on the mast.

The mainsheet can be used for tying it all together (the mast/boom/gaff and bowsprit) I always trail with the bowsprit folded back rigged.

I trailed MANY miles like this until I got bags to put the mast and boom/gaff in but I trail still in exactly the same way.

I will post some pictures when I am next out on the road.

I am also working on a mast raising device which can be used on any boat.

This is similar to Dennis' arrangement.

Regards

Simon
Simon Head
CC19 Association Member

Masts & Booms

Postby Pugwash » Wed May 04, 2011 10:31 am

Hi Simon

thanks for the info and reassurance, any pictures would be good to see, maybe I am just being a bit over cautious/precious about it all. I have plenty of experience towing but not a boat with dangly bits that could drop off or get damaged. I am working on the assumption replacing a broken or fractured CC19 mast would be tricky to say the least in the Med. I am sure it will be fine I just want to cover as many bases as possible using the groups collective knowledge.

Off for my first sail of the season tomorrow, alas not on Robyn, but crewing as ships (one armed) cat to move a mates boat from Ibiza to Sardinia so 3 days non stop and another 400 nm on the log.

Keep the info coming, I will sail Robyn this summer even if it is single armed.

Regards Simon
Pugwash
Non Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Wed May 04, 2011 11:43 am

Zephyr came with a boom crutch which also doubled up as a bracket for suspending the motor out of the water on a mooring. I don't use it for the latter but do use it for travelling.

Before lowering the mast I use electrical tape to secure the shrouds and halyards. I remove the mast from the tabernacle and lay it port side, with foam on the hatch and betwixt (got that word via the Royal Wedding service) mast and tabernacle. The shroud ends and cable ends lay in the anchor well and the crutch supports the mast near the hounds. I tie the mast in three places including the stern using the cleats. The tiller ties off on the crutch too.

I then lay the assembled boom, gaff and main - in a cover - alongside the mast and strap them together. This leaves me access to enter the cabin via the sliding hatch.

I've looked at keeping the mast in the tabernacle but I have a height restriction at the storage site. Height may also be a factor in pricing for ferries.
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby bellalistair » Wed May 04, 2011 7:54 pm

All variations on a theme, I have put together a crutch for the back to support the mast and boom/gaff at the rear not dissimilar to Stephan. The gooseneck stays fastened and the mast sits besides the tabernackle. Mast ties to cleats front, tabernackle centre and boom/gaff & cleats rear.
The only real reason for the crutch is that it means you can (just) get into the cabin as it leaves a little room underneath to get into the hatch.

Alistair
--
CC92 Tystie
bellalistair
CC19 Association Member

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails