Spray Hood

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

Postby Simon Head » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:19 pm

Hi Pugwash

I think Ill be going for Dennis' mastband arrangement in stainless steel (its available in this as an option). I do not like bronze as it goes green or needs polishing!

Instead of the pin I will have it made with a 10.5mm hole through both bands for the existing goose neck fitting to take the existing boom end arrangement. All I will require is a longer bolt to go through it all.

I will contact Martin to find out where he got his spray hood from.

A question for Dennis- how high up the mast should the new goose neck go from the existing (8")?

Regards

Simon
Simon Head
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:30 pm

Hello Simon

I had not realised that SS was an option for the mast band fitting (from Classic Marine). This is good news indeed, as it is also my preferred option.
I agree with your preference for retaining the existing gooseneck, hence the non standard clearance holes for the M10 bolt fitted to the original.

I intend to position mine as far down the mast as it will fit. This is dictated by the position of the transition from square section to round. If I fit it in this position, the bottom of the lower band will be 4" above the tabernacle bolt. (I have just measured the mast to confirm this (it is in my garage)). Unfortunately my boat is miles away at this moment, so I cannot confirm the exact amount this will raise the boom, but I estimate it to be about 9".

I estimate that the boom only needs to be raised about 3"-4" to enable sailing with a HM sprayhood. But the additional height will make the cockpit a safer place to be.

Cheers

Dennis
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Martin's Spray Hood

Postby Pugwash » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:17 pm

Hi Dennis

"Robyn CC20" now arrived at her new home so keen to get things moving ready for spring, did you hear anything back from Martin re his alternative spray hood?

Regards Pugwash
Pugwash
Non Association Member

Postby Dennis » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:44 pm

Hi Pugwash

These will be exciting times for you!:) Enjoy the preparation for the new season.

I have not heard from Simon re Martin's spray hood. I assume Simon will post directly to the forum when he has some further information.

I have however made a little progress with regard to raising my boom. I have spoken to Bob Brown (HM) about the possibilities and have sent him a drawing of my ideas. I am waiting of him coming back to me with a price.

Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby popeye » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:18 pm

Dennis wrote:I have however made a little progress with regard to raising my boom. I have spoken to Bob Brown (HM) about the possibilities and have sent him a drawing of my ideas. I am waiting of him coming back to me with a price.

Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary ann

Hi Dennis,

how looks your idea like? Could you present it at the Assosation Home Page?
Always fair winds and following seas

CC106 "Katrina"
popeye
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Hudson » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:55 pm

Raising the gooseneck will raise the gaff jaw height.

Currently our sails are all cut to Designer's measurements, giving
a maximum gaff jaw hoist height. The envisaged mod would increase
the jaw height and put Cutters adopting the adjustment out of
Class for racing, unless the original gooseneck was used.

Anyone who has followed the Shimper correspondence on sail
measurement will realise the importance of rule compliance,
written or otherwise.

When we race, Designer's drawings should be observed.

My main problem with boom height is visibility. A mainsail
window would solve the problem but again it's not in the
drawings.

Regards
David
David Hudson
CC19 Association Member

Postby Nick Martin » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:25 pm

Think on .. If you just want to raise the boom at the back(ish) end .. all you need to do is raise the tack of the main .. you'll need something to stop it falling away from the mast which isn't difficult - eg a tie / beads .. in my experience the boom's a bit higher after a reef so the hooks may well still work .. only down side is a poor kicker angle .. but then the kicker's not great anyway ... have a play first and at essentially zero cost
Nick Martin
Non Association Member

Postby Dennis » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:07 am

Hello Nick

If you look at the last two slides in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t66hjkQiiVw
You will see I have done the very thing you are suggesting.

Hello David

I understand what you are saying, however, my purpose in raising the boom, is to enable me to sail with the sprayhood raised (if I wish). I am not likely to be racing in that configuration.
Also raising the mainsail is likely to make the boat slower, not faster as there will be an increased heeling moment without any extra drive.

Looking forward to the season

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:45 pm

Hello all

An update on the mast band/gooseneck mod.

HM declined the opportunity to produce one of these fittings as it was not economic for them to do so.

However, Classic Marine (01394 380 390) have been most helpful. They are supplying me with the two rings (in stainless steel), one drilled 10.5mm and the other tapped M10 (so that I should be able to use the original gooseneck bolt) for £102.57 + VAT.

Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Thanks for everyones input

Postby Pugwash » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:07 am

progressing on spray hood, looks like will go with o/e, lot to be said for devils you know. Want to retain sail with hood up without much alteration. Will start new post on colour choice.

Regards Simon
Pugwash
Non Association Member

PreviousNext

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails