Spray Hood

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

Spray Hood

Postby Pugwash » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:59 pm

Hi All
Happy New Year to you all.

I am confident my search for a CC19 should soon be over, deal agreed subject to final viewing so here's hoping all goes well.

Just about the only thing I am going to need for sure (under crews instructions) is a Spray Hood.

Any views / experiences on the options HM and otherwise.

Regards Pugwash
Soon to be at the helm once again of a "Black Pig"
Pugwash
Non Association Member

Postby Dennis » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:02 pm

Hello Pugwash

Happy New Year! I assume it will be even happier when you get your CC19.

Regarding the sprayhood issue; Mary Ann has a HM hood - here are my experiences:

It is very useful when the boat is on a mooring (as mine is for seven months of the year), it prevents any water leaks via the hatch. If you look at the number of posts re leaking hatches, it is probably worth it for this alone.:)

It is great when motoring into a heavy sea, especially into a head wind. For obvious reasons.:)

It can be used when sailing on a beam reach, a broad reach or running.:)

It cannot be used when sailing beating to windward (close hauled) because the boom fouls the top of the hood.:(
This is annoying, as it is the point of sailing when the hood would be the most use.
I intend to get round this problem by fitting a gooseneck on the mast, thus raising the boom by about 9". This will of course have the added advantage of fewer meetings between cranium and boom.

I hope this helps

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Spray Hood

Postby Pugwash » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:12 pm

Hi Dennis
thanks for the reply, yes should get to look at her this week-end and hopefully complete the transaction.

Interesting you mention the gooseneck, I have trawled through all the Yahoo pictures looking at modifications generally and noticed a couple of goose mods. I also noticed the spray hood listed as Martin Elliots posted by Simon Head. Do you know if they are on Simons boat or Martins. It looks interesting, nice lines looks like a larger surface area and screen compared to HM but then of course quite a lot taller. I would imagine any goose neck mods to lift the boom high enough might be too high to set a decent sail shape. Would be interested in more details on that if anyone has information or a lead.

Thanks again
Regards Simon
AKA Pugwash
Pugwash
Non Association Member

Postby Dennis » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:41 pm

Hello again Simon (aka Pugwash)

You may be interested in this: http://www.tecsew.co.uk/cape-cutter-cockpit-enclosure or this: http://www.tecsew.co.uk/cape-cutter-sprayhood

I think this is the prototype for Mike Brookes boat CC19 #87.

I note your comments re altering the sail shape by raising the gooseneck. I do not think it makes any difference to the shape, the whole sail, boom and gaff are simply higher up the mast. The only adverse effect should be a slightly increased heeling moment due to the centre of area of the sail being higher.

I have experimented with raisng the mainsail by fitting a strop (about 9") between the tack and the gooseneck, there was no adverse effect on the sailng performance. If you look at my YouTube slide show (on Windermere) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t66hjkQiiVw you can see it sailing in this condition in the very last slide.

Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Spray Hood

Postby Pugwash » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:05 pm

Hi Dennis

Silly me, not thinking in Gaff, the boom can go as far up the mast as the gaff throat will allow but as you rightly point out might make her a bit top heavy, many thanks for info and links will contact them for more information.

Pugwash

If anyone has other options I would be interested to hear of them.
Pugwash
Non Association Member

Postby Simon Head » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:53 am

I sent a mail to Martin Elliott about his sprayhood and tabernackle extension arrangement and got the following reply:

"Evening Simon,

Happy New Year, Only too pleased to help and talk boats in the middle of winter.

Our intention when raising the boom was principally to give a more relaxing cockpit environment - it seemed to me that the boom was sweeping across the cockpit at an uncomfortably low height. The other reason was to allow the boom to rest at a better angle in the boom crutch when the sprayhood was up.

With regard to your question 'could we sail with the sprayhood up' -- I don't know !! but I suspect not. It was never my intention to do so, other than under power in heavy rain. We always carefully stowed the sprayhood in the folded down position when getting under way. Another consideration is that I would not have felt comfortable with a full boat width sprayhood acting as a very effective barrier should the need to go forward quickly arise. Having said this, I believe your sprayhood has a lower profile and that could make the difference.

When considering this change my concern was that moving the mainsail up would be detrimental to the balance and handling of the boat, and for that reason I designed the bracket to be a harmless bolt on alternative. This would mean that the rig could return to standard at any time with no damage done.
In the event there was no discernable effect on the boat handling at all. This was further confirmed when Martin West (CC19 Quartet) had a bracket made to my design a couple of years ago for his own boat.

The actual height change was 190mm"

Martin is kindly going to foward a drawing of the extension and some pictures-I will add this to the boat modifications section.

I never sail with my sprayhood for the reason Martin has hilighted but would be nice to have the option to do so- I am going to have one of his extensions made.

Regards

simon
Simon Head
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:01 pm

Hello Simon

I too would be interested in Martins's arrangement for increasing the height of the boom. I have been thinking about a bronze gooseneck mastband manufactured by Classic Marine: http://www.classicmarine.co.uk/prodtype.asp?prodtype=96&ph=cat

I also want an arrangement which will allow the boat to be easily returned to standard if necessary and I think this fits the bill. The mastband simply clamps around the mast. I estimate that it will possible to sail with the boom in either the new or the original position with this new additional fitting in place. Although the mainsail lacing may require some attention.

I think Alan Greenacre fitted one of these to "Adept" but I have no information about it's performance.

If anyone else has any ideas I would be happy to hear from them. This "improvement" is on my to do list for the coming season.

Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Simon Head » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:12 pm

Hi Dennis

The Classic Marine option seems an elegant solution. Ill have to think about this one a little further....

I think that when the change is done you would unlikely go back to the original position.

You could always take the rings off if needbe as you say.

I have leathered galvanised mast bands which could create a problem with sail lacing...

Regards

Simon
Simon Head
CC19 Association Member

Postby Pugwash » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:17 am

Hi Simon
Martin doesn't mention where he sourced his sprayhood, I have looked at the Tecsew which is the same shape as the HM, could you ask him where his came from?
Regards Simon (Pugwash)
Pugwash
Non Association Member

Does my rig look big in this?

Postby David Hudson » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:14 pm

We have been very successful in the Round the Island Race recently using a particular PY but....

One design, manufacturers' and development classes have rules on rig measurement.

By moving from the original rig design, we are in danger of being out of class for racing.
We may not have black bands on our masts and booms but when we go to race, race
committees will expect us to conform with the the designer / manufacturer's specifications.

Pedant moi?

Regards
David

PS I don't race with my gennacker
David Hudson
CC19 Association Member

Next

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails