fixings

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

fixings

Postby oak » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:59 pm

could some one advise me as to the best/correct way to attach fittings to the stern of the boat.
is there a packing between the hull and the cockpit moulding.are the rudder pintles ,for example,held apart with spacers.I want to put on a flag staff holder and a couple of cleats.
i would like to know what to expect before drilling.
any experiences with tiller locks also welcome
Jack
"Merlin"
oak
CC19 Association Member

Postby Simon Head » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:02 pm

Hi Jack

Thanks for joining the Association. You should be able to see the members section now.

The answer to your question depends on what hull number you have. The early boats had a fairly flimsy transom.

If you have a later boat (I am not sure when this changed but approx hull 10) the transom is reinforced. You can mount a flagstaff holder with a backing plate, as shown on my boat both in the picture albums and on the web site. There is also a flagstaff mounting solution shown in Mary Ann Modifications that were posted by Dennis.

With regards to cleats- if these are to be load bearing (such as mooring cleats) I would not recommend it, only from the perspective of damage caused by the possibility of overload. The transom should be able to take cleats if necessary on a later boat.

On this note I would contact Bob Brown at Honnor Marine for confirmation as to the construction of the transom- but I am pretty sure it has plywood reinforcement glassed in.

Regards

Simon Head
Simon Head
CC19 Association Member

fixings

Postby oak » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:39 pm

thanks for that Simon,it was looking at your boat that prompted the question as I fly the ensign from the gaff which can be a bit of a nuisance.
my hull number is 25 ,the transom seems pretty solid.i want to put in small cleats to hold the tiller lock rope.
any one using tiller tamer,t.trimmer,t.mate,t.hand,?I rather like the look of the tiller co pilot.
oak
CC19 Association Member

Postby Simon Head » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:07 pm

If you look in the photo album section you can see how I use a tiller lock- using the 2 cleats at the stern without modification. You can use these for this purpose- and still use the cleats for mooring.

Regards

Simon

ps photos are under community.
Simon Head
CC19 Association Member

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails