Sharing gel coat, sealants etc.

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

Sharing gel coat, sealants etc.

Postby Malcolm Sadler » Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:07 pm

Hello all

Just as Alistair has some blue pigmented gel coat, I have some ivory - the standard topside colour as now supplied by Honnor Marine (apparently a standard pantone now rather than Bob’s former custom mix).

If anyone needs a touch-up quantity please PM me. No cost except P&P.

I’ve labelled this thread with a very broad title as it seems to me we all are forced to buy a greater quantity than we need of various consumables for our Cape Cutters and it makes sense to share them.
My own personal bugbear is having to buy a third of a litre of silicone sealant, just to put in a few woodscrews, so I’ll be sharing that next time I have to buy a tube.

Cheers

Malcolm

PS I know – I could use varnish for the wood screws, but then I’d have to open a tin of International, and that would start to go off too!
Malcolm Sadler
Honorary President

Re: Sharing gel coat, sealants etc.

Postby bellalistair » Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:58 pm

Thanks Malcolm,
Sorry I've been away but have now changed the thread title!
just to correct what I believe to be a misunderstanding, I do not believe that Bob's colours were custom colours, at least by #092 they certainly weren't. What they are however is unusual and not BS or Pantone.
Bob gave us a Fascol colour chart when we ordered Tystie and the pigment I have is Fascol Oxford Blue which is a West&Senior standard colour just not widely available and is that used on Bob's blue hulls at least around the time of Tystie's build.

Cheers,
Alistair
bellalistair
CC19 Association Member

Re: Sharing gel coat, sealants etc.

Postby Malcolm Sadler » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:22 am

Thanks for this Alistair

I got the ‘non-standard’ impression through talking to Tim Altham. He gave me to understand that he was not going to be exactly matching the colours used by Bob Brown as they are difficult to source. He said however he has got a pretty good match. Tim is obviously replacing Bob’s policy of ‘everything custom made’ to buying in standard components where possible. I took his comments about gel coat colours to be part of this different policy. Thanks for putting me right on this.

It may be we need to specify a supplier and their colour name if anyone is ordering gel coat for repairs that needs to match the original.

Cheers

Malcolm
Malcolm Sadler
Honorary President

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails