masts that have sat for a few years

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

masts that have sat for a few years

Postby CliveHJones » Mon May 23, 2022 4:32 pm

has anyone split their mast ... cleaned and re-epoxied it back together ... renewed the fittings/clamps ... then re-oiled or varnished?
(and yes, after applying epoxy the mast will be clamped all along and left to cure for a few days)

ps:: I have decided to go down the oil route for all woodwork ... using Owatrol marine products ... my engineer head figures this better than the varnish route (with annual dressing)
CliveHJones
CC19 Association Member

Re: masts that have sat for a few years

Postby Chris Wicks » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:33 am

I had some minor splits along the laminates of my mast in the early years. 6 months of Mediterranean sunshine probably encouraged it. A local carpenter boat builder cleaned out the splits and filled them with epoxy before I revarnished. That was years ago and it has been fine ever since. Occasionally I see signs of a minor split forming and I clean mix and fill with Araldite. Perfect results ( but you can tell my background is not engineering) I only varnish the mast these day, other woodwork with a house water based wood treatment. Aqua Clou.... (German) I like it because it is water based dries in minutes looks good and is easy to tidy up each year.

Good luck

Chris
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails