Center plate

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

Re: Center plate

Postby zimp » Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:57 pm

Justin Greig wrote:Hi Bert - sorry my question wasn't clear.

The question I was asking about 'the problem you encountered with the cable attachment' relates to this comment in your 2013 post where you say: "First I made a hole in the casing. But the point where the wire was connected to the plate was more aft then it is on the younger boats. So I made quite a large hole. The wire was fitted to the plate by a stainless steel plug with two allen screw in it. So the whole mass of the plate was held by shear. I decide to remove that plug. With help of a friend and a forklift we dropped the plate and removed the stainless steel plug."

Why could you not remove the plug from inside the boat after you had made your access hole in the casing? If I made a hole similar to yours, but just wanted to replace the cable - rather than use Dyneema as you did - would it be possible to leave the plug in position?

The picture you attached is one which Dennis posted in your thread 'Centreboard Problems' back in 2013.
http://www.capecutter19association.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=510
Like Zimp, my boat was made in SA and has a cover over the centreboard housing. I assume you removed that before starting to make your hole?
Another picture posted by Dennis shows the cable of his UK boat simply retained by a swaged end. I assume the plug you mention didn't look like this?

I hope that's clearer? Thanks!

Yes, now I remember it more or less. Indeed in the plate is a hole with a diameter of about 50 mm. In that hole was a stainless steel disk with some smaller holes for connecting the steel wire with allen screws. For removing the disk I had to use a heavy hammer. To do so I must lover the plate because this couldn't be done from the inside.
Unfortunately I don't have any pictures.
Bert, CC19, #004, s/y Zimp
zimp
Non Association Member

Re: Center plate

Postby Justin Greig » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:16 pm

thanks Bert
that sounds a bit of a struggle - I'm going off the idea of trying to make a hatch in my centreboard case!
Could any other owners of SA made boats comment on how they have tackled installing a replacement cable?
Justin Greig
CC19 Association Member

Previous

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails