Rubbing Strake removal

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

Rubbing Strake removal

Postby Andy Yates » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:56 pm

Our Audrey has developed a leak on a couple of Rubbing strake bolts. They may have been weeping for a while and dismissed as condensation but with the prolonged rain we have had on Windermere they became a problem over the weekend.
I've made temporary repairs but it will need some TLC over the winter and I'm thinking of removing the strake and re-bedding with sealant.

Searching the forum it seems that some boats are through bolted with the nuts exposed on the inside. All of mine are fibreglassed over apart from 3, 2 of which leaked. I think this is because the rubbing strake was replaced by bob when I purchased the boat and it may have been a second hand piece of timber, not all the holes lined up so they were re-drilled. I'm assuming that the strake is sealed/bonded to the hull along with the bolts and that when I remove the bolts the nuts will be held by the fibreglass. Has anyone done this before? I'm hoping the nuts are held as it will be a hell of a job exposing them to get a spanner onto them.
Andy :D
Andy Yates
CC19 Association Member

Re: Rubbing Strake removal

Postby Runrig » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:57 am

Andy
Sounds like a bit of a job!
Fraoch (sail no. 111) has all the rubbing strake bolts through to the cabin and then domed nuts to keep it looking tidy inside. I suppose if your glassed in nuts don't hold you could drill through and bolt them all from the inside.
On a smaller scale the nut which holds the front of the step on to the centre board casing has come loose on Fraoch and I think that is glassed in.
Let us know how you get on.
Paul
Runrig
CC19 Association Member

Postby Andy Yates » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:22 pm

I suppose a few pics would have helped, I'll take some next week. I suspect that CC60 had the dome nuts exposed but may have had leakage problems so they were glassed over. I really hope they hold as I'll have some work on exposing them.
Andy Yates
CC19 Association Member

Postby ianrmaciver » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:26 am

Andy,
I removed the strakes last winter. They were a bit scuffed and I wanted to rub down and re coat.
There were a couple of " glassed in " nuts at the stem and stern of each strake. These stayed in place during removal
and refitting.
The remainder were fitted with penny washers and domed nuts . The removal and refitting was a two man job , one
outside , the other contorted to reach the domed nuts.
On removal I noted that the screws were cut to different lengths....to allow the domed nuts to tighten before
"bottoming out". To accommodate I purchased spare screws and penny washers , selectively using these as required.
Rubbing down was straightforward , and I used International Woodskin to recoat. Woodskin is a form of woodstain/varnish
which claims to be breathable. It's not as polished as varnish , but apparently can be recoated easily.
Next problem on removal is that a couple of nuts are behind the back of the cupboards above the sink and the stove.
To gain access , I used a 30mm hole saw , centred by drilling through from the outside . The screws removed , but the
nuts /washers behind the cupboard dropped off once the screws were removed.
On refitting the strakes , I used CT1 black adhesive/sealant. I prefer it to Sikaflex as it remains flexible....it also does not
harden in the tube.
I used a bead of sealant at the upper edge of the strake and a ring of sealant around each screw. After fitting I put a bead
of sealant along the upper edge of the strake.
After some heavy duty sailing / rain this summer , no sign of leakage.........yet!!
Overall , straightforward , time consuming and the results ok.
Ian
Minnie CC19 (85)
ianrmaciver
CC19 Association Member

Postby Andy Yates » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:26 pm

Cheers Ian, very helpful, and not too difficult a job by the look of it. I'm just mulling over whether to re varnish or strip and use an oil finish.
Andy Yates
CC19 Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:20 pm

Good luck with the rubbing strakes. I have used International wood skin for the past few seasons on the strakes and hand rails and I'm impressed with the result. 6 months of Greek sunlight and a fair bit wears off by the end of the season. It is so easy to lightly rub down and recoat. Kaliope comes out of the water tomorrow and I took a video yesterday of dolphins.... ignore the dolphins and check out the wood skin! www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukodMhVuODM&feature=share

Cheers

Chris
Kaliope CC67
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails